I want my MTV

This morning I was briefly excited to discover that MTV have launched a portal called I want my MTV where you can watch almost all the videos they have ever played. Sweet!

What should I try first? Hmmm. Well I have a vivid memory of being in someone's house in New Jersey back in the mid 90s and watching the Gus Van Sant directed vid for Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers - so I went for that.

Sadly a chili peppered memory lane was not to be. Instead of Anthony, Flea and co I got this message:



Oh well over to Youtube... errr not quite. You see Warner Bros have pulled the same trick over there:




Oh dear. This is all very old school music business if you ask me. If I didn't already own it, perhaps my trip down a chili peppered memory lane would have prompted a walk over to itunes where I would have bought the track (79p) or perhaps a Greatest Hits album (£7.99).

Instead I found this absolutely hilarious "literal video" version of Under the Bridge. Very, very funny! Enjoy!



5 comments:

November 7, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM GMT Jonny said...

Pretty cool site

I remember back in the 90s when MTV was a genuinely subversive TV channel and also (shock, horror) played music videos. It also had some quirky presenters (some amusing but mostly annoying) and tackled the odd social taboo of the time as well (like World Aids day).

Now it's just cheap reality shows. Sad.

November 7, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM GMT BethB said...

why is MTV so crap now? Discuss...

November 7, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM GMT BethB said...

ah, I've just read the previous comment and see I am not alone...

November 7, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM GMT jonny said...

Pretty cool (idea for a) site

Typed the title into google there and got the frontpage only dammit

November 7, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM GMT Stu said...

Agreed! There was something radical about MTV back in the day. You felt slightly subversive even watching it - these days I wouldn't give it a second glance. Probably something to do with the cutting edge becoming part of the mainstream and quickly becoming, as Beth puts it, 'crap'!